Joanne Bousquet Sargent
Class of 1976
Joanne received her R.N. From Peter Bent Brigham Nursing School and Emmanuel College in 1979. While there she received a clinical service award during her junior year. After graduating from nursing school, Joanne came home to work at St. Joseph's Hospital in Lowell in labor and delivery and the ER. She wanted to learn as much as she could, always wanting to learn more. She moved on to her next challenge at Duke University Hospital, whose ER was world-renowned for caring for the most catastrophic traumas. She worked with the ER transplant team and the Dive medicine program, where patients who were once thought to be hopeless were treated in a hyperbaric chamber.
Joanne then moved on to Washington, DC, and George Washington Hospital ER. This ER had a high volume of very serious injuries and Joanne loved being able to make a difference for some of these patients. She picked up extra hours at Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital in the intensive care unit, all the time learning more and more. She worked the George Washington ER the day the Air Florida plane crash occurred. Many of the wounded came to GW that day.
If we fast-forward a few years, we find Joanne now has two businesses. Sargent and Associates includes managing workers comp, utilization reviews, and independent medical evaluations – much like a total health management service. Her latest endeavor, Begin with Skin, is a med spa, which helps people feel better by looking better. Not to mention her cable TV show, entitled “Choose Health,” where guests are health care providers, health educators, therapists, counselors, discussing health and wellness topics. She is also a sought-after speaker for Worker's Comp and wellness meetings and conferences:
- NEHRA Conferences
- World Congress National Conference – Las Vegas
- Greater Boston Corporate Wellness Forum – “Inside Workings of a Successful Wellness Program”
- A Work Related Injury Conference at Braintree Rehab Hospital – ”Workers' Health and Wellness: Impact on Injuries and Disabilities: Wellcomp” NECOM
- Atlantic Charter Insurance Company – “The Positive Effects of Wellness Programs on Workers' Compensation”
- Worksite Wellness Council of MA – “Why Wellness in the Workplace”
- Greater Boston Occupational Health Nurse Association (GBAOHN)
In 2014, her company, Sargent and Associates, received the Boston Business Journal Healthiest Employer (small business.) This award was in recognition for Joanne's effort to include her employees in a participatory program that promotes a healthy lifestyle with access to biometric screening, an online coaching portal and health coaching services. This effort also resulted in two consecutive years of maximum Massachusetts Wellness Tax credit.
Joanne is very civic minded and actively participates in town-wide and international charitable events, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Chelmsford Tree Lighting – Mrs. Claus for 25 years
- Chelmsford Arts Center
- Chelmsford Police Association
- Chelmsford girls' softball team
- Executive Leadership Committee for GoRed for Women fundraiser event
- Greater Lowell Boys & Girls Club
- Table of Plenty Supporter
- Enterprise Bank nominee – 3 times – for their Celebration of Excellence Award
- Adopted a 16-member platoon in Afghanistan
- Participant in annual Boys & Girls Club fundraiser auction