Chelmsford High School Alumni Association
JACK’S DINER/KYDD FAMILY
Award Criteria: Will be awarded to a deserving senior who plans to further his or her education in the field of culinary arts or a related field
This scholarship was established by the Robert Kydd family, in memory of the many years Jack’s Diner served the local patrons, and was considered the “unofficial Town Hall” of Chelmsford. Jack’s was always known for its good food and enjoyed a large following of regular customers who would pitch in if they so desired, just like home. Several generations regarded Jack’s as their “home away from home” on their daily visits to this popular establishment.
The Kydd family has been involved in food service of one kind or another for many years. As a young man in 1924 Jack Kydd worked in his father’s business, Kydd’s Ice Cream Stand on Chelmsford Street in Chelmsford. The following year the family moved a Monarch Diner next to the ice cream stand, which was then named Kydd’s Diner. In 1940, a second Monarch Diner was moved in and attached to the original one, making a much larger establishment. In 1947, the Kydd family sold Kydd’s Diner now known as Skip’s.
In 1949, Jack and his wife Edith purchased the property in the center of Chelmsford and Jack’s Diner was born. In 1950, their son, Robert, joined the family in running Jack’s. After both parents passed away Bob and wife Jean, along with their four children continued on the tradition at Jack’s until 1975. After that time the Diner was leased to other operators.
Robert and Jean’s oldest son, Robert Jr., decided to continue the food service tradition for which the Kydd family had become known. After graduating from Bentley College, Robb and his wife Shelly, opened The Firehouse Restaurant on Middlesex Road in Tyngsboro. This establishment has become known for it’s great food and welcoming atmosphere.
The Chelmsford school system has been very instrumental in educating and preparing the entire Kydd family to be productive adults. Graduates of Chelmsford High School include: father Bob (1950), Robert Jr. (1974), Kathy (1975), Kenneth (1977), and Cynthia (1978).
This scholarship is to be presented to a deserving student who wishes to further his or her education, preferably in the field of Culinary Arts.